A newlywed couple hugging each other in an old Abbey in Italy.

All legal requirements and costs for a destination wedding in Italy.

The non-EU citizen who wants to marry in Italy must apply for a marriage permit from the Consulate or Embassy of her/his country in Italy.

According to one’s state laws, the authorization is a declaration showing no impediments to marriage. Once the clearance has been obtained at the wedding, it is necessary to go to the Legalization Office of the Prefecture to have the ambassador’s or the Consul’s signature authenticated.

It must be remembered that some foreign Embassies or Consulates in Italy do not issue the permit to the foreign citizen if they do not have a residence permit and a passport. In these cases, given that the wedding’s authorization is a document necessary to marry in Italy, the foreign citizen will have to go to his own country to request it. 

If one intends to marry according to Catholic worship or according to other cults admitted by the Italian State, it will be necessary to ask the parish priest or minister of the cult who will celebrate the marriage.

Then, if you’re wondering how to get married in Italy and which are all the legal requirements, feel free to contact us for a free consultation.

Vie from the above of a pool of Tuscan Villa.

Once obtained the permit, and after having legalized it in the Prefecture, the foreign citizen must go, together with his future spouse, to the Ufficio Matrimoni dell’Anagrafe centrale del Comuneof the town the couple wants to marry and present the following documentation:

1. valid identity document of both future spouses;

2. birth certificate authenticated by the Embassy of the country of origin;

3. authorization issued by the Consulate or Embassy;

4. self-certification of free status and residence

5. request delivered to the pastor or minister of the other cult that will celebrate the marriage.

The registrar will therefore set the appointment for the oath.

Request a first FREE consultation

Legally binding ceremony in Tuscany.

On the day set for the oath, the wedding promise will be publicly exchanged before the registrar. The oath must have two witnesses present for each spouse. In the case of foreign witnesses, they must have a valid residence permit. At the request of future foreign spouses, it is possible to request the presence of an interpreter.

The Office will then publish it; that is, it will display a sheet with future spouses’ names and the place where they will marry in the municipal notice board of the Municipality. After 8 days (including at least 2 Sundays) from publication, the Weddings Office will issue the certificate of publication.

This document must be delivered, within 180 days, to the Civil Status Officer at the Municipality of residence to fix the date of the wedding. There are particular cases in which there are differences concerning the general rules.

Request a first FREE consultation

View of a wedding venue with a swimming-pool in Umbria.

– foreigners recognized as refugees under the Geneva Convention:

If the foreign citizen has been recognized as a refugee, he must apply for authorization to the A.C.N.U.R. (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees) presenting a notarial deed done in the Prefecture with the name, surname, state of origin, and marital status of the two witnesses with an identity document.

– US citizens

If the citizen is American, he will have to present a sworn declaration before the U.S. Consul instead of the authorization. A certified signature in the Prefecture, a notary deed made before the single judge, and a birth certificate.


According to Italian law, all the income produced and the goods acquired by one of the spouses after the marriage are both spouses (communion of goods). If the spouses prefer the separation of the goods instead, they must declare it at the wedding time.

To receive information on how to get married in Italy, we will be at your disposal for a free Skype call as a destination wedding planner.

External view of Sant'Antimo Abbey

And how much does a wedding planner costs in Italy? Well, we can tell you our fees, nothing more than that!

Please look at our price guide and feel free to send us an inquiry to get an overview of your cost projection.

Request a first FREE consultation