Civil wedding ceremony in Amalfi before the Major.

Legal requirements for Australian citizens who want to get married in Italy

Two primary documents are required for Australian couples who want to marry in Italy. 

  1. The Atto Notorio will be issued in an Italian Court. Due to our long experience with civil court weddings, we know precisely which are the most efficient and quickest Courts in Italy to apply for your Atto Notorio.
  2. The second step is an nulla osta, you will need to swear before an Australian official that there are no impediments to your marriage. The Australian Consul or the deputy will sign your sworn statement.
  3. After that, we will bring this document to the competent Prefettura to legalize the signature of the Consul. Please note that not every Prefettura can legalize your sworn declaration, and most of them, even when qualified, are fully booked. For this reason, we can rely on our service to speed up the process since we know precisely the competent Prefettura and always have a slot booked every month to get the sworn declaration legalized.

Please note that if you have been already married, divorced, or widowed, you will need to prove the end of the marriage with a death certificate or divorce decree in original. Copies won’t be accepted.
Please also note that a divorced woman who wishes to marry again within 300 days of the date of the divorce must obtain permission from an Italian Court.

Once we have atto notorio and the Nulla Osta is legalized, the game is done, and we can apply for your civil court wedding in the Italian town hall you love the most!

 Besides, if you have previously married, you will need to prove your termination. 

Please note that your sworn declaration (also called Nulla Osta) is valid for six months; therefore, you need to plan your civil wedding before that deadline.

All certificates, including divorce certificates or death certificates certifying your previous Marriage’s termination, must be originals. 

Civil Wedding Ceremony

So once we have the sworn declaration legalized and your atto notorio issued by the Italian Court, we will contact the town selected by you, providing them with all the necessary documents.

We will also provide to recruit a professional interpreter required by law.

At this time, an appointment to lodge your Declaration of Intent to Marry (applicable for non-resident in Italy; otherwise, banns of Marriage need to be performed) will be booked, and another for the day of the wedding ceremony. 

When possible, the declaration of intent to Marry may be performed the day before the civil marriage rite.

It is customary to pay a fee for the rental of the marriage hall, and this fee may vary according to the town hall you are planning to marry in. 

You will receive your marriage certificate after the wedding ceremony or some days immediately after the wedding day.

To get your marriage certificate recognized in Australia, your wedding planner in Italy will have to affix an Apostille (Hague Convention) to the Italian Marriage certificated by the Italian authorities at the competent Prefettura of the city where you get married to be legally valid once you are back in Australia. 

Please keep in mind that during the peak wedding season (May to September), it could be challenging to get an appointment with the town hall officials and apply for the Apostille as many foreigners ask to marry in Italy during that period.

Therefore, we suggest you book your wedding quite in advance to schedule a proper timeline for you.

Please note that if one of you is Italian or is an Australian citizen with Italian residency, the Italian authorities may require that Banns be posted for at least two weeks before the wedding date.

Please send us a free inquiry to get more Infos. We look forward to assisting you along the whole process!

a wedding in Rome in Sala rossa