Ottobre 7, 2019 /
Getting married in Sorrento
A synthetic guide
A wedding in Sorrento. What could be more romantic? Every year more and more couples, from Italy and abroad, choose to get married in Sorrento. However, most non-Italian couples who love this coastline decide to rely on a wedding planner in Sorrento.
For those who decide to get married in Sorrento, celebrating the coast ceremony is not easy. The Diocese of Castellammare Sorrento has left the various parish priests’ decision to celebrate weddings of spouses not residing in the Sorrento peninsula.
It becomes so difficult to find a free Church for the chosen day of the wedding. The spouses who chose the Basilica of Santa Maria del Lauro in Meta, or the Basilica of San Michele in Piano di Sorrento, must know that it is impossible to marry if you are not resident or if you do not have a strong bond of kinship in the municipality.
In some churches, it is possible to celebrate the rite of the wedding for non-residents, as long as the dates don’t coincide with Saturday and Sunday.
However, some tiny little churches, such as the Chiesa Rossa in Montechiaro, or the Church of the Capuchin Friars in Sant’Agnello, the Church of San Francesco in Massa Lubrense that allow you to marry even on Sundays. Such churches are often already occupied, and it is a good idea to book the date well in advance to ensure availability.
Other beautiful churches of Sorrento where to celebrate your wedding are:
• Cathedral of Santi Filippo e Giacomo
• Basilica of San’Antonino
• Church of San Francesco
Civil ceremony in Sorrento
The town of Sorrento allows the celebration of civil weddings in different suggestive places:
• The cloister of San Francesco: dating back to the 1300s, it is the most romantic and evocative location in Sorrento. It is advisable to book well in advance.
• Correale Museum: One of the Correale Museum of Terranova (an ancient noble residence) was used to celebrate weddings. An excellent choice for autumn and winter weddings.
How much does it cost to get married in Sorrento?
Here are the rates for those wishing to celebrate the civil ceremony in the town of Sorrento.
€.600,00 in case of a wedding celebrated on the morning of Monday, Wednesday, and Friday as well as on the whole day of Tuesday and Thursday;
€.800.00 in case of a wedding celebrated in the afternoon of Monday, Wednesday and Friday;
€.1,000.00 in case of a wedding celebrated on Saturday
Documents needed for a wedding in Sorrento
• For Italian citizens: valid ID
• For foreign citizens: you will need a valid passport, Nulla Osta, to new marriage issued by the Consulate or Embassy of your State in Italy containing specified: surname and name, place and date of birth, paternity and maternity, residence, citizenship, and marital status.
• The signature affixed to the Nulla Osta must be legalized at the competent Prefecture, except for countries adhering to the Hague Convention. (5/10/1961)